Friday, January 06, 2006

Hewitt discusses Pope Benedict's take on Islam Reformation

Today, there was a fascinating article at Hugh Hewitt's site. He spoke to Father Joseph Ferrio, who was at a summit with the Pope regarding Islam and its need to reform.

It gives me hope that Pope Benedict understands what is happening in Europe and the world as Islam strikes with greater ferocity and frequency at the infidels. Orinna Fallaci herself believes in Pope Benedict, and I am certainly warming to him.

Benedict XVI on Islam and the West
by Hugh Hewitt
January 6, 2006 07:17 AM EST

JF: Well, the thesis that was proposed by this scholar was that Islam can enter into the modern world if the Koran is reinterpreted by taking the specific legislation, and going back to the principles, and then adapting it to our times, especially with the dignity that we ascribe to women, which has come through Christianity, of course. And immediately, the Holy Father, in his beautiful calm but clear way, said well, there's a fundamental problem with that, because he said in the Islamic tradition, God has given His word to Mohammed, but it's an eternal word. It's not Mohammed's word. It's there for eternity the way it is. There's no possibility of adapting it or interpreting it, whereas in Christianity, and Judaism, the dynamism's completely different, that God has worked through His creatures. And so, it is not just the word of God, it's the word of Isaiah, not just the word of God, but the word of Mark. He's used His human creatures, and inspired them to speak His word to the world, and therefore by establishing a Church in which he gives authority to His followers to carry on the tradition and interpret it, there's an inner logic to the Christian Bible, which permits it and requires it to be adapted and applied to new situations. I was...I mean, Hugh, I wish I could say it as clearly and as beautifully as he did, but that's why he's Pope and I'm not, okay?

6 comments:

Pastorius said...

I heard this interview as it was being conducted yesterday. I was shocked that a world leader was coming down so decisively against Islam. I guess this ought to put an end to people worrying about whether the Pope gets it or not.

Interesting that the Pope uses a lot of the same diplospeak that Condi and Bush do, when he is speaking in public. But, apparently, behind closed doors, he says what he really thinks.

He goes further than I would. I believe that any ideology can evolve, and so, I believe Islam can change. But, it's a matter of faith for me to say that it can, whereas, the Pope believes that he is being rational when he says that it cannot.

I admire the Pope greatly, so, I must say that, if the Pope is so pessimistic, it makes me think that perhaps I'd better take another look at my beliefs.

MissingLink said...

"It's not Mohammed's word. It's there for eternity the way it is. There's no possibility of adapting it or interpreting it"

And this is the gratest obstacle to do anything with Islam as a religion.

It doesn't matter that there are so called "moderate Muslims".

The dark, cruel messages are built into Islam they come directly from Allah.

God says it and we cannot change God's will.
A perfect vicious circle.

The Anti-Jihadist said...

I was raised Episcopalian myself...but seeing how the Episcopal/Anglican world seems ripe for dhimmitude nowadays, the Pope's admirably strong stance against Islam almost makes me want to convert to Catholicism.

Or would that be 'revert'?

dag said...

Falacci claims to be a Catholic atheist. I'd claim to be a Presbuyuterian atheist but I'd be asshamed to admit to Presbyterianism as it is in America. I'm suddenly all in favor of the pope!

John Sobieski said...

There are two kinds of 'moderate Muslims.' There are the liars, the taqiyyamaster. They only pretend and say things they know infidels will like knowing full well the truth. All imams and muftis who say things that infidels like to hear are liars, taqiyyamsters. Then there are the ignorant moderate muslims. These muslims actually believe what they say. There are very few of these. They avoid the jihad parts of Islam and only note the 'kind' part of Islam. They are irrelevant and will be swept away, as they always have been, by the true jihad Muslims masquerading as 'moderate muslims.'

gravelrash said...

I have to agree with the general air of suspicion, as put by felis and Axis of Islam. There has been ample opportunity for "moderate" Islam to make it's presence felt, and certainly the urgency will never be more pronounced, but it has failed to materialise (and I assure you, I have been looking!)
It is all taqiyya in the end. It is a fatal logical absurdity to trust anyone who states his devotion to the Koran. The contradictions could not be clearer.
I've no reason to resile from the demands of my motto: "The only good snake is a dead snake"