Saturday, February 11, 2006

Neutrality and cowardice—a distinction without a difference?

This weekend, a thousand Muslims are marching, protesting the evil cartoons from Denmark here in Bern. They are demonstrating against what… some cartoons? Or against freedom of speech?

Out of roughly 7 million inhabitants in Switzerland there are 4% Muslims, which makes 280,000. And only 1000 of them went demonstrating in Bern.... interesting!

I don`t want to waste anymore time on this ridiculous matter. Because in my eyes, it`s just not worth it. I have better to do than care about the Muslims’ feelings. They never care about anybody’s feelings but their own, and I am fed up with their whining.

Still, my posting for today is about these cartoons, and what it means for Switzerland. A Swiss politician, a Mr. Fulvio Pelli, the president of the well-known FDP (roughly translated “freethinking democratic party”) said the following: he is upset that official Switzerland (Minister Mrs. Calmy-Rey, and the actual president of the Swiss Federation, Minister Moritz Leuenberger) failed to declare a position for themselves in the whole Mohammed Cartoon thing. That they were hiding behind Swiss “neutrality”, pretending that the matter was not their business, instead of standing up and defending freedom of speech. But this, Mr. Pelli continued, would require courage these days. (which most politicians seem to conspicuously lack...)

Well, I could not agree more. Thanks Mr. Pelli--you have my full support on this.

Swiss “neutrality” has always been an issue to me. I never really knew what was the difference was between neutrality and ... cowardice. Funny thing about is, that they seem to forget about neutrality when it comes to condemning Israel for whatever action it`s taking in order to defend itself. Makes no sense to me, this sort of neutrality. Or, is Swiss neutrality more a question of money?

I prefer to not answer this question.... being afraid that my patriotism, which has suffered a lot in the recent past, might experience another mortal blow.

4 comments:

Always On Watch said...

EK,
On tonight's news, just now, I heard a Brit say, "They should have considered the consequences before they published those cartoons." WRONG! These rioting Muslims--indeed, all the Muslim world--had better consider the consequences of what the cartoons and subsequent demonstrations reveal about Islam.

I agree: I don`t want to waste anymore time on this ridiculous matter. Because in my eyes, it`s just not worth it. I have better to do than care about the Muslims’ feelings. They never care about anybody’s feelings but their own. I am fed up with their whining.

But I'm torn between how sick I am of this crap and tacitly supporting pc and giving into Muslims "sensitivities" if I let this matter go. So I may start screaming about the cartoons, but I think it's time for the blogosphere to publish the tenets of shari'a law for the West to see. Shari'a law is not compatible with Western ideals.

murtad girl said...

wow! nice post.

I used to be a muslimah and I know in Islam there is no Freedom. I always wanted to leave Dar-Al-Islam but I have no chance yet. But I am going to make it happen very soon. Sharia Law is a nasty law in human history and its not going to take over the world by that law. Maybe 65% of muslim populations might be agree with this law but I dont think so the rest of Human Populations agree with it. I pray that Holocaust will not happen again.

Mark said...

European Kafir:

Well stated!

I don't actually know what has happened to "beautiful Switzerland". The Swiss used to be rather xenophobic, yet they have allowed all the Muslims in with an agenda to take over the country!

It doesn't make sense to me!

PS: Calmy-Rey is far too liberal for my taste.

Anonymous said...

Calmy-Rey is islam's best friend in Europe. And she won't be happy until Switzerland is under sharia law.