Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Is this the Religion of Peace and Love?

A retraction...

I admit, I have some egg on my face. Yesterday I ran a series of pictures (now deleted) from Iran with the following information that was provided to me:

In Iran, an eight-year old child was caught stealing bread from a market. In the name of Islam, the child's punishment for this minor crime was to have his left arm crushed by a car...
Well, as this turns out, this is not the true story behind the photos. I will be the first to admit that I screwed up, and I apologize. My thanks to those of you out there who brought this error to my attention.


"Shari'a Punishment" Photos Misattributed

LGF reader Baikal emailed about these upsetting pictures posted by Bareknucklepolitics.com with the title: 8 Year Old Iranian Boy Caught Stealing Bread. Those readers who were skeptical of the title, it turns out, were correct; Baikal contacted the publisher, Peykeiran, and after a confusing exchange received the following reply:

Hi! It seems you have not read the text that came with the pictures. In irna there some who earn their bread by Maareke giry. In our case one of these maarke gir _ha had hired a kid to do those unhuman show. You read the text that came with photos. bye

3 comments:

Pim's Ghost said...

Thank you for posting this. Things like this need to be seen.

mahdihotline said...

Anti-Jihadist
This is not a sharia punishment. It is some sort of 'entertainment stunt'. See this thread on LGF from last November:
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=18085#comments

friendlysaviour said...

still shows what these people are capable of.