Saturday, March 11, 2006

The UAE—Ally or Enemy?

Here in Dubai there is an area called Knowledge Village—it’s a compound that houses about 25 universities and colleges. I frequent the food court there and sit with my friends, sipping coffee and discussing the news. Our gatherings are multinational and multicultural, which is exactly the image the UAE wants to show to the world. I’m of Pakistani descent, and my circle of friends includes a couple of friends from India, one Canadian and a Sri Lankan; the Indians are, of course, Hindus. The Canadian and Sri Lankan are Moslems—so it’s a diverse crowd.

As is our routine, we usually start our talks on something political.

One recent morning, the big news up for discussion was about a bomb blast in Iraq at a revered Shiite shrine. Who was our group blaming for it? The usual suspects for all of the world’s evils: America and Israel, of course. The group’s sentiments were, for all intents and purposes, an exact replica of what one would always hear in the Iranian government’s virulent anti-American propaganda, or anything else in the Middle East’s mainstream media. You are probably wondering why Hindus would be anti-American and talk just like Moslems do. Well, come to UAE, and you will stop wondering.

America, over the years, has had many allies that were allies in name only. The UAE is one of those allies. The UAE is the first to condemn the American actions against terrorism, but it condones what the terrorists do, saying they're fighting for freedom and in fact it’s all America's fault anyway.

Whatever the UAE government says about the UAE being America’s friend actually doesn’t matter, because in the end they end up not acting on it. How could it be otherwise? I would safely estimate that 99% of the UAE’s population is strongly anti American. The same also can be said for Pakistan (having lived there also, I will discuss Pakistan in a future post). Just one day on the street here, in any coffee outlet, in any restaurant or in any club, will expose what the UAE actually stands for. Political discussions are a common occurrence here and even if you aren’t a part of that discussion, you can overhear what they’re saying. And what they say here in Dubai is in fact no different from what the Iranians, Pakistanis, or Taliban, for that matter, are constantly saying.

The young generation of the UAE population might seem to not care much about what goes on around the world. But when it comes to responding to the ‘appalling’ cartoons published in a Danish newspaper, they’re the first to go out on the streets along with the ‘peaceful’ women chanting ‘death to Denmark, death to America’. This, my friends, is the true nature of our so-called allies that we have in the Middle East. I distinctly remember, right after 9/11 when America released a list of 20 countries that supported terrorism, the UAE was included in that list. But then mysteriously, it disappeared.

It is not a hidden fact that the ruler of Dubai, the prime minister of the UAE, Sheik Mohammed supports and protects Dawood Ibrahim, a wanted terrorist by the Indian government who is responsible for almost every bombing in Kashmir and numerous other atrocities in various Indian cities. So it is no surprise that this man, with connections to mobsters all over the world, including the Russian mafia, is the richest man in the UAE with assets worth over $20 billion. It is this man who owns almost all the businesses in Dubai and is also the owner of DP World, the company that (until just recently) was about to take over six major ports in the United States.

The Moslems here felt proud when the DP World deal was struck--‘we are in America now…’ said many. Not just this deal, but every project in Dubai in particular and in the UAE in general is planned with the west in mind, sort of a huge game of “one-upsmanship”. Burj Dubai, the project slated to be the world’s tallest building (currently under construction) is hailed all over the UAE and the Moslem world in general, because now, Islam is able to stand face to face with the west. All such mega-projects are designed and overseen by western Dhimmis (for example, the lead contractor on Burj Dubai is Samsung) and are as high-quality as anything in the West. The West is being used here too and they don’t even know it.

What is the reason for all this? Not that the rents will go down if there were more apartments, because right now Dubai is one of the most expensive places on earth to live—a room, which is smaller than what my dog would get in Pakistan, rents for anywhere from $500-$800 per month. And that’s for rent in the slums. But they build tall buildings to take the west on, for Islam.

A country that portrays itself as the most liberal Moslem country on the planet houses a population that is one of the most anti-American, anti-western in the world. When talking to anyone who has been here for a year or so, regardless of their religion, all you hear is cursing against the Great Satan. ‘America wants oil; America was responsible for Iran-Iraq war; America brought Israel into the Middle East; America needs to be destroyed…’ This is all you hear on the streets. There is so much anti-American, anti-western sentiment that the feeble learn to hate as well. Under such an onslaught, virtually everyone comes to believe just as they do, namely, that Islam is right and the infidels are wrong. Always.

In the mosques you don’t hear much anti-Americanism but sometimes you do hear prayers for ‘people fighting for their freedom’. Who are they talking about? By ‘freedom fighters’, they are talking about the terrorists who are trying to destroy America and its (genuine) allies. Yes, we have allies who want to destroy us (the UAE) and our real allies (Israel, Australia).

In UAE prisons, whoever converts to Islam is automatically forgiven his sentence and those who don’t, rot in it and then are deported. Arabs are favored over foreigners and in their pride they crush anyone who doesn’t resemble them. ‘Islam will take the world over…’ chants every Arab here. Just as Mohammed’s followers followed his command to do whatever is necessary to carry the orders of Allah, these Moslems still follow that command to this very day.

In short, in the UAE, whoever talks against the Jews and the Americans is loved, and is dear to everyone, but whoever is anti Islamic is thrown in jail and (if a foreigner) deported. Anti Americanism is bred here, it’s in the very air. They just don’t advertise it so openly, because the UAE is waiting, getting stronger and biding its time. Waiting for when the time is right.

A multicultural society where hatred of non-Moslems is obvious, where the non Moslems start saying ‘prophet Mohammed’ even though they don’t believe he is a prophet, makes me think that there’s something fishy. No one here has ever talked against the Iranian nuclear program; they don’t condemn terrorists—civilians and the government alike. By not condemning it, they condone, in silent whispers, the heinous acts of Islamic barbarism.

‘Today we have decided we will give them a chance, we are handing our ports to them’. Tomorrow, who knows? An Iranian nuke might someday get past the security and make 9-11 look like a minor skirmish. Who will be held responsible then? The Muslims want us dead anyway, be it through our own stupidity or at the hands of terrorists whom they fully support--whom they call martyrs when they die. How can we consider handing over control of our ports to someone who has sworn to support the annihilation of Israel? After all, no one holding the Israeli passport can enter the UAE. Mr. Bush? Answer that for me.

President Bush, former President Clinton, and the rest can be as blind as they want, but I hope the citizens of the United States open their eyes. Remember the Korean War? China backstabbed the US then. Now, the UAE and the rest of the Moslem world are sharpening their knives.

12 comments:

John Sobieski said...

I was watching the Fox Saturday morning business/stock show block this morning, and the comments were universal - the American public are idiots for opposing the Dubai port deal, the American politicians are idiots for responding to the American public, we are losing our most important 'ally' among 'moderate Muslims'. I was disgusted by their ignorance, and their belittling the American public. How dare those hicks oppose what the brilliant and all-seeing capitalists want to do. There was not one person who said, 'wait a minute, the public may have this right. We should listen to the public.' Not one. It was a complete dismissal of the unwashed as ignorant pests to be swatted away. I just find it amazing. It is not the public that are ignorant, it is the capitalists and multiculturalists who are so incensed that the public doesn't buy their wares.

PS I know the rightbar is out of whack, not sure why and am investigating.

Cubed © said...

John,

I was in such a state of anger watching our so-called "friends" on Fox that my cortisol level shot up and was seriously interfering with my weight loss program. I wrote my bit for ibloga while doing about three times the amount of time I usually do on the exercyle. It's the only way I could keep from exploding. And I'm usually a very even-tempered person, not prone to undue excitement.

Can you believe these nuts?

Keep up the good work, people, it's going to be a very long process.

Avenging,

Your writing is beautiful, your information is invaluable, and the authority your words carry because of your circumstances is undeniable.

I will post your piece over at sixthcolumn before the day is out. Right now, I'm too damned angry to do much of anything except get back on the exercycle!

Cubed © said...

John,

One more thing, though; they are NOT CAPITALISTS! They are, in fact, profoundly ANTI-CAPITALIST!

"Capitalism" is a social (not just an economic) system based on the recognition of individual rights, including property rights.

The making of "capitalism" into a tooth-and-claw boogey man has been one of the most successful efforts of our postmodernist school system. Learning the truth about capitalism and a whole bunch of other things is essential in our quest for victory.

friendlysaviour said...

One thing I just can't fathom...why so many rich people from Britain and elsewhere are buyin flats and houses at enormous cost out in Dubai.
They have to be completely ignorant of the possible consequences and the liabilities.
I guess if one day they are trapped there, they will blame America.
I can just see all those tanned buisness executives nodding in agreement as the locals rattle on about the Jews and Americans being "the problem" in todays World.
Hopefully they will all lose their investments and never come back. Then they can work as cleaners for the locals.

The Commander said...

Hey I just found this blog and love it.

This question is off topic from this post, but I did not know where else to put/send it.

I noticed there is a link to Daily Kos on this blog. I have been, or should say had, been blogging over there about the Muslim world and met HEAVY resistance at any mention that Islam was not a religion of peace.

Have any of you guys who blog on this site posted over there?

I have been pretty much black listed over there for trying to have a civil debate about the realities of Islam.

Always On Watch said...

AA,
First, let me thank you for visiting my blog today. Your comment means a great deal to me and will to my students as well.

The group of students with whom I work are Christian homeschoolers. Some of them pray for those Christians in situations such as yours. I believe that the prayers of Christian children are heard! All prayers are, of course, but the prayers of children are of the sincerest type, I think.

And my students know the truth about Islam. I see to it!

Now, to the topic of your posting here...

A country that portrays itself as the most liberal Moslem country on the planet houses a population that is one of the most anti-American, anti-western in the world.

I hope the citizens of the United States open their eyes.


I see that many Americans indeed have their eyes open. The politicians and the media keep harping that those of us who understand the danger from UAE in American ports are stupid. I have my own opinion as to who are the really stupid ones. LOL.

Thank you for the inside report in this article.

Avenging Apostate said...

Cubed,

"Your writing is beautiful, your information is invaluable, and the authority your words carry because of your circumstances is undeniable."

Thank you for the encouraging words. I will keep on writing as long as the UAE intelligence stays off my back. The day they track me down--well, you know...

"I will post your piece over at sixthcolumn..."

The more the people read and understand, the better--thanks for posting my post over at your blog, I'm honored.

Avenging Apostate said...

Bld,

"One thing I just can't fathom...why so many rich people from Britain and elsewhere are buyin flats and houses at enormous cost out in Dubai."

Well bld, it might make you happy that the property value here is going down (that doesnt pull the rents down though), far less people are now interested in buying property here, instead they choose places like Australia. Now this is pissing EMAAR and NAKHEEL off--the two biggest construction firms here, both owned by Sheik Mohammed.

Hope this trend continues.

Avenging Apostate said...

Always on watch,

"First, let me thank you for visiting my blog today. Your comment means a great deal to me and will to my students as well."

Your blog is beautiful, that poem is so beautiful that I read it thrice. Your students are very talented, they're in good hands, it seems ;-).

"The group of students with whom I work are Christian homeschoolers. Some of them pray for those Christians in situations such as yours. I believe that the prayers of Christian children are heard! All prayers are, of course, but the prayers of children are of the sincerest type, I think."

I believe in the power of prayer and I really could use some prayer right now. I totally agree with you that the prayers of children are heard, because of their sincerity they're more powerful. I thank the students for all their prayers, for me or for people in my situation.

"And my students know the truth about Islam. I see to it!"

That's the most important thing, the next generation should know the truth, they'll be able to comprehend the problem even better.

"I see that many Americans indeed have their eyes open."

Well the politicians can be as dumb as they want. Its the people that matter, and I am happy to hear that many Americans are smarter than many of the Europeans.

friendlysaviour said...

AA,,get your points, but..
Not smarter, but more well-informed.
Europe is not all asleep.
We are just having a lay-in.
When this hazy dream is shaken off, we will awake and be looking for some strong coffee to girt our loins.

Always On Watch said...

AA,
I met with my students today. Those who follow my blog expressed their admiration for you.

Stay strong!

Watcher said...

AA, this is fantastic post, right to the point, I really enjoyed reading it eventhough I got really angry with our "allies". This post made me blogroll Pedestrian Infidel. Great job.