Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Real Liberalism

I began writing this as a comment to my post from earlier today, but as it got longer, I decided to make a post out of it.

Real liberalism, classic liberalism as enshrined in the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights, is what that Malaysian cleric was talking about when he referred to 'liberalism' and other 'enemies of Islam'. 'Liberalism' and 'pluralism' is just another way of saying 'freedom'. Make no mistake, Freedom is always going to be seen as threat to the prison that is the 'Islamic lifestyle', at least as far as the wardens of the Islamic prison--the clerics--are concerned. Freedom threatens Islam merely by existing.

I am a firm believer in the values of the Enlightenment, and hence I am a classic liberal. Until someone comes up with something better (and it aint Islam), I am convinced that Enlightenment Values are the best means of governing ourselves, society, and the world.

Today's self-proclaimed 'liberals' of the left have little to anything in common with the values of Jefferson, Adams or any of the other Founding Fathers.

Real liberals fight all forms of tyranny, including and especially Islam.


friendlysaviour said...

Maybe the only medical cure for full-blown Liberalism you describe is that favorite of islam and the now dead (TFFT)Zarqarwi. Seems like nothing else save, maybe, lobotomy will work.

dag said...

Our nomenclature is a problem. I too refer to myself as a Liberal, finding myself trying to explain that I am not a liberal or a Liberal.

Liberal as in Jefferson and J.S. Mill rather than Kerry and Gore and so on. Liberal as in the merchant classes of Latin America rather than the Conservatives of rural Britain and the latifunista reactionaries. Liberal as in live and let live liberties for all rather than the Canadian police state Liberal Party. Liberal as opposed to Orthodox. Oh, what a mess.