Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Christian emails our Apostate

We recently received an email here at PI from a Christian in the USA who had some questions after reading Avenging Apostate’s testimony. We are posting his email followed by Apostate’s reply to his questions.

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:23:42 -0400
To: pedestrianinfidel@yahoo.com
Subject: Welcome to the Family.

Dear PI,

I read your testimony on your Blog with interest and will pray for you.I will appreciate your answering a few questions:

Do you KNOW for sure you will go to Heaven some day? If "Yes," how do you know for sure?
You mentioned Baptism -- do you think Baptism is necessary for salvation.
Do believe there is any way you can lose eternal life promised by Christ?
Why did you not mention believing in Jesus Christ in your testimony?
What do you think is necessary for a person to do in order to become a Christian?

I look forward to hearing from you and helping you in your spiritual journey as a Christian. God bless you.

And here’s Apostate’s reply to his questions.

Thank you for your e-mail and your prayers. I am sorry for the late reply; my college reopened after summer vacations, so I was busy with my studies. You asked some questions, I will try my best to answer these questions but forgive my inability to quote scripture in detail as I live with my Muslim family and having a bible in my home isn't allowed.

You asked,

Do you KNOW for sure you will go to Heaven some day? If "Yes," how do you know for sure?

Yes, I know for sure that I will go to heaven because I believe in Christ and whatever he taught. John 3.16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

You asked,

You mentioned Baptism -- do you think Baptism is necessary for salvation.

Although symbolically very important—I don't think it's necessary for salvation. In the Gospel according to Luke when one of the thieves rebukes the other one for mocking Christ and then asks Christ to remember him in the Kingdom to come—Christ doesn't tell him to get baptized but that he will be with him in paradise.

You asked,

Do believe there is any way you can lose eternal life promised by Christ?

The only passage from the scripture that I can recall that addresses this issue is in 1 Corinthians—Paul says something to the effect of 'You're saved by this gospel if you hold firmly to the words I have preached—if you don't, you have believed in vain.' And while talking about the end times Jesus says that there will be many who'll turn away from faith.

You asked,

Why did you not mention believing in Jesus Christ in your testimony?

Because the purpose of my testimony is not to preach how I converted to Christianity but why and how I left Islam. Our blog doesn't just have the Christian audience but also the Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, Scientologist, Deist, Atheist, Agnostic, Zoroastrian, etc. I am sure you noticed that almost all of my testimony talks about why I left Islam. I did talk about the Gospel in general, though. My purpose for blogging is that people be aware of the dangers of Islam (same is true for other PI members). Thomas Jefferson, a great leader, said, "But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." Adding to that quote, I say that I am only concerned if my neighbor is a Muslim. It is Islam I am fighting against right now, and we are all in it together.

You asked,

What do you think is necessary for a person to do in order to become a Christian?

Believe that we're sinful and that Christ died for our sins and was raised from the dead the third day. That Christ sacrificed his life on our behalf. That we are unable to wash ourselves from our sins without Christ. Christ is the mediator between us and the Father and as Christ said, 'I am the way, the truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me.' And submit ourselves to His service.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Very good response. The scripture also said that 'no one can pluck you out of my hand'. Once we truly accept Christ as our Lord and Savior, we belong to him. It doesn't mean we will live perfect lives, but we will strive to be as much like Him as we can and ask for forgiveness when we fail. The scripture also says the only unforgiveable sin is rejecting the Holy Spirit, or rejecting the invitation to accept Christ.

And 'it is not by works, but by faith we are saved, ... but 'by our works they (the world) will know us'.

Denny said...

Thank you for that service. You just never know when 'church' will happen. By the way, there are many more scriptures in the old and new testament that pertain to 'losing' ones salvation. After being tossed to and fro about this subject for many years I decided to do a thorough search for myself. Hebrews 6:4, ITimothy 5:8 and Romans 11:22 come to mind.

The Merry Widow said...

AA needs to know that my small ekklesia is still praying for him and will continue to do so. We lifted him up as a body again last night, there are several groups that have "adopted" him, so he shpuldn't be without coverage. And he is a reminder of the persecuted and lonely church. These are our brothers and sisters, so in praying for him, we remember also others that we don't know about!
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

ExPreacherMan said...

Thanks for posting my note to AA.

One quick comment to those who believe not that Christ is sufficient...

When Christ promises ETERNAL life to anyone who trusts Him, that subsequent gift of life is ETERNAL.. or Christ would be untruthful.. and that is impossible.

ETERNAL IS neverending the moment one believes in Christ.

ExP(Jack)