Wednesday, December 06, 2006

More on books banned in Malaysia

After my recent post on banned books in Malaysia, and seeing the comments that piece generated, I investigated further and snooped around some more bookstore in the Kuala Lumpur area. Turns out what may be a 'banned' book at one store may be freely available at another. I found several titles that were 'banned' at Borders freely available at Kinokuniya, another big bookseller in the downtown KL area.

And if that isn't confusing enough, every Malaysian state has their own banned lists. Books banned in one state may be found in other states. And since Malaysia states are small by American standards, one never has to go far to see if what's forbidden in, say, Johor is available in Selangor.

I have found another listing of banned book titles that is the most comprehensive that I've seen so far. This listing is also now posted in our Malaysian section in the sidebar.

Bottom line, I'll say what few if any Malaysians dare say: censorship sucks, and it's wrong. Period.

3 comments:

jas_tech said...

banning books is like limiting the growth of the brain. This should not happen in a civilized society.

http://dharma.indviews.com

Miss Chris said...

Jas tech:

I agree with you. It seems like Muslims don't want to be civilized.

Steve Harkonnen said...

What next? Crystallnacht?