Friday, January 28, 2011

The domino falls--Islamic Revolution in Egypt

World events can be thought of as weather. If you pay attention, you can deduce and predict what's coming, even what may lay beyond the horizon. And the storm now brewing in Egypt has been a long time in coming.

Last October, I wrote "The Next Islamic Revolution", which was about the (likely) possibility and dire consequences of the fall of the Egyptian government.

Consider that Egypt is run by a dictatorship, currently headed by a doddering 82 year old Hosni Mubarak, who assumed power almost 30 years ago himself following the assassination of his predecessor. His tyrannical government is utterly despised and discredited by its own people, and dares not run free elections in fear of the utter shellacking they would receive at the hands of the voters. Over the course of several decades, Mubarak and his people have managed to turn Egypt into a cultural, technological and social backwater. They have done this by consistently demonstrating levels of incompetence and corruption which stagger the imagination. With all of these factors, Mubarak is looking rather like Iran's Shah was in the late 1970s. The only thing keeping this more-or-less secular dictatorship in power is a somewhat effective secret police force, and an opposition movement that is still not quite organized. Yet.




Now, that moment appears to have arrived.  And from what the mainstream media is reporting, one of the major chants (if not the main one) being heard in the Egyptian streets is 'Allahu Akbar'.

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

Awesome Blog!!!

I’ve been looking through your blog over the past few days and I found your blog to be very interesting.

Your Postings are really exceptional. I love your blog because of its unique content and valuable information. It is an example of perfect blog. It makes me wonder how to make my blog different. I think i should also start learning how to maintain a blog from you. Your blog is simple yet powerful. The theme of your blog is so unique and catchy.

I have added your link in my blog http://denbarblog.blogspot.com/ under "My Favorite Blogs" Section, so that my blog visitors could also enjoy reading through your blog.

Kindly visit my blog. And if you like my blog, please link back. I would be glad if my blog is referred by wonderful blog like yours.

Thanks for your time.

Hope u too would like my blog...